G3 Leadership 2016-17
Captain - Oversees all team operations, both engineering and non-engineering. Works closely with the Head Coach and Mentors to develop a vision for the team’s future along with team-wide goals for the current school year. Specific duties include:
- Collaborate with Subteam Leaders to ensure that all projects have clearly defined objectives and timelines and that they support the team’s vision and goals.
- Monitor and promote positive team morale and works closely with the head coach to ensure that G3 is a safe, welcoming environment for its members.
- Oversee external team communication and team image.
- Provide mentorship and training to the Project Manager and Subteam Leads to ensure leadership continuity in the following year.
Project Manager -Works alongside the Team Captain, in support of the captain’s duties as described above. The following are specific roles and responsibilities that the Project Manager will fulfill.
- Monitor the use of communication & project management tools such as Slack and Asana.
- Take attendance daily and work with the captain and head coach to address attendance problems among team members.
- Oversee the organization and inventory of team resources and works with the D/F and P/E subteam leaders to ensure that those resources are managed effectively.
FRC Subteam Leads & Project Leads - each subteam will have a junior or senior lead and a one or more sophomore, junior, or senior project leads. The lead will oversee and coordinate all subteam activities while ensuring communication among subteams and projects. Project leads will be given clear, timely goals and objectives by the subteam lead. The lead will provide mentorship and training to project leads to ensure leadership continuity in the following year.
Design and Fabrication Subteam - The Design and Fabrication Subteam is responsible for developing effective game strategies, creating and refining integrated, implementable robot designs, prototyping those designs, and fabricating and assembling durable, reliable mechanical subsystems as well as the final assembly of the finished robot. This team is also responsible for the maintenance of these systems throughout the season. This subteam must work very closely with Programming & Electronics to develop game strategies, integrate sensor feedback solutions to mechanical problems, and plan for the layout and installation of electrical and pneumatic subsystems. This subteam is also responsible for training team members in the areas of
- Tool use and shop safety
- Precision metalworking and woodworking
- Fast prototyping
- Computer-aided Design & Manufacturing
Programming and Electronics Subteam - The Programming and Electronics subteam is responsible for developing and implementing software and sensor feedback solutions to game challenges. This subteam is responsible for the installation and maintenance of electronic and pneumatics subsystems. P/E must work very closely with Design & Fabrication to develop game strategies, integrate sensor feedback solutions to mechanical problems, and plan for the layout and installation of electrical and pneumatic subsystems. This subteam is also responsible for training team members in the areas of
- Electrical wiring & wire management
- Pneumatics plumbing & tube management
- JAVA programming for teleoperation and autonomous operation
- Sensor feedback & automation of mechanical systems
- Vision processing
FRC Strategy Specialist(s) - One or two members of the D/F or P/E subteams will be identified as FRC Strategy Leads. They will be responsible to being “Rule Tsars” who help determine game strategy and guide design decisions. Other responsibilities include
- Review the chosen game strategy (decided at the beginning of the season) and propose updates as necessary based upon rule updates and research.
- Communicates with D/F and P/E subteams to ensure that all design decisions made accurately reflect our chosen strategy AND
- Leads all competition strategy operations, including, but not limited to, match scouting, pit scouting, and alliance selection.
Outreach & Mentoring Subteam - The Outreach & Mentoring subteam is responsible for our team’s promotion and support of robotics programs in K-12 schools. This subteam will visit other K-12 schools for outreach activities, plan and host training sessions at Grady HS as we0ll as competitive events. The O/M subteam will have one junior or senior leader and up to four project leads assigned to:
- FLL Training Series
- FRC Team Creation & Support
- STEM Advocacy on the local, state, and national level.
- Drones for Good (described in detail below)
Drones for Good Project Lead - The DFG Lead and & Co-lead will share responsibility for all aspects of the DFG project. The lead will provide mentorship and training to the co-lead to ensure leadership continuity in the following year. The DFG subteam will develop the DFG challenge, develop training materials for middle school students and teachers, recruit schools to start DFG teams, plan and host training sessions for middle school students and teachers, recruit mentors for DFG teams, plan and host all DFG events, and train G3 DFG subteam members in these areas:
- UAV design, fabrication, programming, and flight
- UAV safety
- Amateure radio operation
Business Operations Subteam - This new subteam is a combination of the teams previously referred to as Finance/Fundraising and Communications/Marketing. There will be one junior or senior leader for the subteam and one project leads for each of the three areas listed below that will lead the subteam in these projects:
- Business Plan
- Grant Writing
- Sponsor Seeking & Relationships
- Awards Submissions
- Chairman’s Award;
- Other Awards
- Digital Content
- Social Media
- Web Content Development